Dissecting the Ginseng Herb
Ginseng As An Energy Booster
Whether it’s to have a productive session at the gym or to sit through long hours of work, people are always looking for ways to stay awake and energized.
There is always the option of caffeine and a variety of supplements that may do the trick. This article talks about ginseng, an herb popularly used as an energy booster but also as a supplement to treat various health conditions.
A wide variety of ginseng root is traditionally used in Asia and North America to treat several medical issues. It is a plant that grows across Korea, northeastern China, and far eastern Serbia. It is different from the American ginseng, Siberian ginseng, and Panax pseudoginseng.
Ginseng has been known for its health-boosting properties and is used as traditional medicine for thousands of years.
There are 11 different species of the ginseng plant, Panax ginseng, also known as the Asian or Korean ginseng, is considered as the most popular and relevant health booster. Throughout history, it has had significant effects on countless illnesses.
Panax ginseng, in particular, is one of the most popular kinds that is used for therapeutic purposes. It contains active compounds known as ginsenoside or panaxosides which play a significant role in treating inflammations, promoting a healthy life and soothing the effects of a variety of serious health conditions.
Normally, it is taken as a supplement to boost testosterone and is used as pre-workouts because of its high ginsenoside content.
Panax ginseng is usually taken orally for the following reasons:
- It improves thinking, concentration and memory
- Helps with curing a hangover
- It helps people work more efficiently
- It improves physical stamina
- It prevents muscle damage from exercise and athletic endurance.
- It boosts the immune system
People also take this supplement to help them cope with stress and improve their well-being. It is also consumed to treat more serious health conditions including:
- General fatigue
- Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS)
- Multiple sclerosis
- Cystic fibrosis (lung disease)
- Breast cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Fertility issues
- Joint pain
- Hearing loss
- Pregnancy and childbirth disorders
- High blood pressure
- Liver cancer
- Lung Cancer
- Skin cancer
- Chronic bronchitis
- Swine flu
- Fever Vomiting
- Intestinal problems
- Nerve pain
- Bleeding disorders
- Loss of appetite
Aside from the fact that Panax ginseng treats a wide variety of health concerns, the herbal supplement also has proven benefits whether or not an individual has any serious health issues.
According to research reviews and studies, because of ginseng’s specific compounds, the supplement is highly effective in reducing fatigue and enhancing physical and mental activity. Its compounds can lower oxidative stress and helps in increasing energy production in cells.
Improves cognitive abilities
Panax ginseng is highly beneficial for middle-aged individuals. It helps improve their mental function as well as aid those with Alzheimer’s disease. Taking the supplement allows for prolonged mental activity and prevents the effects of mental illness. Aside from that, it also helps in reducing intoxication on the brain.
While altering the hormonal levels of the body, the supplement allows an individual to effectively recover from chronic stress, as well as boosts the mood and energy levels.
Slows premature aging
The antioxidative effect of the herbal supplement reduces rapid aging.
Treats erectile dysfunction
A man prone to premature ejaculation may apply this before intercourse to avoid erectile dysfunction.
Improves blood sugar levels
The glucose regulatory properties the herb contains helps in reducing sugar levels for those who have type II diabetes. Aside from that, its active compound helps in improving insulin resistance and overall production.
Improves lung function
The herb prevents bacterial infections that may attack the lungs as well as reduces symptoms of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD).
Boosts the Immune System
Panax ginseng aids in enhancing the effect of vaccinations for diseases such as RSV, influenza, hepatitis C and rotavirus while preventing bacterial infections with its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
The ginsenosides it contains serves as a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory substance that helps in preventing the inflammation of nerves around body tissues.
Some research suggests that there is a possible link between ginseng and the treatment and prevention of influenza and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV). Red ginseng extract is found to improve the human lungs’ survival when it is infected with the flu virus.
Due to the wide variety of supplements with varying quality and active ingredients, there is no sure way to establish a standard dose.
For this concern, it is highly recommended that one buys from a reputable source and consults with a medical professional to ensure one’s safety.
Although Panax ginseng is generally safe, like any other supplement, ginseng has its fair share of side effects, some of which may be serious.
It is always safer to first consult a medical professional before consuming Panax ginseng.
Some things to watch out for include:
- Hormone-like effects that may be harmful when used for long-term treatments.
- Menstrual problems
- Breast pain
- Increased heart-rate
- High or low blood pressure
- Loss of appetite
- Change in mood
- Vaginal bleeding
More serious side effects include:
- Stevens-Johnson syndrome (a severe rash)
- Liver damage
- Severe allergic reactions
- For women who are pregnant and breastfeeding, it may be unsafe as one of the chemicals Panax ginseng contains has proven to cause birth defects in animals.
- Children and infants are discouraged from taking Panax ginseng. Babies who are given the herb may be poisoned and will cause death. Although its effects on older children are unknown, it is safer to keep it away from children.
- For those who have auto-immune diseases such as multiple sclerosis (MS), lupus (systemic lupus erythematosus, SLE), rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and others, it has been evident that Panax ginseng tends to increase the immune system, possibly causing auto-immune diseases to worsen.
- For people who have bleeding conditions, it is highly recommended to refrain from using Panax ginseng as it interferes with blood clotting.
Those with heart conditions must refrain from taking Panax ginseng. The herb affects heart rhythm and blood pressure when it is taken, so it is not advisable for those who have serious heart diseases.
- For those who have undergone organ transplants, Panax ginseng may interfere with the effectiveness of medications.
- When Panax ginseng is taken in high doses, it causes sleep problems and agitation in people who have schizophrenia.
- For those dealing with insomnia, high doses of Panax ginseng may not help as it causes sleeping problems.
- For those who have conditions such as breast cancer, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer, endometriosis, and uterine fibroids, Panax ginseng may not be ideal as it contains chemicals that act like estrogen, causing hormone-sensitive conditions to worsen.
- For those with diabetes who are taking medications to lower blood sugar, Panax ginseng may cause it to get lower. Diabetics taking Panax ginseng must monitor their blood sugar when taking this herb.
Ginseng herbal supplements may interact differently when combined with certain drinks and medications. It may cause its effects to go beyond the standard level and may cause serious health problems if it is not monitored carefully.
Medications such as Ibuprofen, aspirin, and heparin must not be paired with any ginseng herbal supplements. It may cause bruises and bleeding that may cause blood clotting.
For patients who have recently undergone organ transplants, taking Panax ginseng may cause counterproductive effects on the immune system.
Taking antidepressants with the ginseng herb may cause restiveness, insomnia, headaches, and anxiety.
Insulin and ginseng both play roles in lowering blood sugar. Combining the two would not be recommended.
The herb may increase blood pressure and heart rate, combining it with caffeine may reach a dangerous level.
When a person takes alcohol, the body breaks alcohol down to flush it out of the system. Panax ginseng may increase the speed of this.
Warfarin is used to slow blood clotting. When combined with Panax ginseng, it may decrease its effectiveness.
Ginseng Energy Now Herbal Supplement
There are energy products on the market that contain portions of ginseng and several vitamins that help in improving physical performance, increase weight loss and boost energy.
A product known as Ginseng Energy Now is a pill that contains energy-boosting properties that work the same way as caffeine does.
Energy Now commits to provide the best products for a good price. Over the years, they have earned millions of loyal customers and remain to be known as one of the best nutritional products.
Ginseng Energy Now is a combination of the finest ginseng, energizing herbs and vital nutrients used to stimulate the brain, heart and blood vessels and improves energy metabolism.
It is sold in boxes of 24-36 packets, each containing 3 pills. Each pack costs as low as $0.99.
Customers who have purchased the item have had satisfactory experiences with the product. One customer claims that it gives them the boost they need the same way coffee does and can stay energized throughout the day. Another who has been taking it for over 20 years claims that they can sit through long meetings as they stay alert, and it does not cause any bad effects such as the jitters.
Where can it be found?
This product can easily be found in online stores such as Amazon. It can also be found on the product’s website at forenergynow.com.
Aside from Ginseng Energy Now pills, Energy Now comes in a variety of flavors, each with a different combination. Some of which include:
- Ginkgo Biloba Energy Now – Enhances memory, concentration, alertness and overall vitality for energy.
- Ultra Energy Now – A combination of herbs and nutrients that help increase endurance and energy.
- High Energy Now – A combination of high energy herbs and essential nutrients that help in increasing energy, vitality and endurance throughout the day.
- Pure Energy Now – A combination of energizing herbs and vital nutrients to increase vitality and endurance.
Although ginseng has fairly good effects, it is always important to buy from a reputable source to ensure that it is not consumed more than it should be.
Most doctors may allow healthy adult patients to consume it, however, it is important to highlight that anybody who plans on taking ginseng must consult with their physician before adding the supplement to any existing regimen. As mentioned earlier, there is no way of stating what the appropriate dose is as it depends on the individual’s age, health history, and many other factors.
More research is needed to confirm the benefits of ginseng as a supplement, as the effectiveness of its properties is still being questioned by health professionals. There is no clear evidence that the herb has true and real effectiveness.
It is always wise to check the ingredients of any ginseng product before purchasing and consuming it. Some products only contain a small amount of ginseng and contain higher percentages of other substances, so it is important to be cautious.